Thursday, February 6, 2014

Stuffed Carrot Cake Muffins

cream cheese filling

Before I start my introduction about how good these are and how they're not too bad for you, I want to make a confession:
After buying carrots I forgot to cross them off my shopping list, and so bought them again. That explains all the carrot recipes!
Now back to the introduction:



Click Here To Jump to Recipe Card!

Finely shredded carrot is a delicious way to get some extra fiber in your diet. Yesterday Google News linked me here to a CBS reminder about how important whole grains and fiber are in your diet, and how many adults aren't getting enough.

My busy working husband today left his toast in the toaster instead of eating it. Sad day! So I wanted to make more grab and go type breakfasts.

This recipe has 2 eggs for just 1 dozen muffins, and so have some protein as well as vegetables and whole grains. I know some people shy away from eggs because of their fat content, but I appreciate the protein.

Muffin Base:
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon milk

Filling:
4 oz Neufchatel cream cheese (1/3 the fat cream cheese, 1/2 a package)*
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

*If you don't know what to do with the other half of cream cheese, I'd suggest you make a half recipe of Skinny Tomato Basil Soup. It's divine.


1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Then drop your 2 unshelled eggs in a glass of warm water to bring them quickly to room temperature while you finely shred 1-1/2 cups carrot.


 2. Microwave 4 oz. (1/2 container) of Neufchatel cream cheese (1/3 the fat cream cheese) for 30 seconds. Stir in 4 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside.

3. Stir together flour, wheat flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt.

4. In a separate bowl, stir together eggs, shredded carrot, oil, and milk. Add to the flour mixture and combine.

5. Scoop about 1-1/2 tablespoons of batter into 12 lined muffin tins. (My cookie scoop is 1-1/2 tablespoons.)  

 6. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of cream cheese filling to each.
I used a second spoon to scrape.
7. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons batter over the top.
 8. Bake at 400 F for 18-20, or until the top springs back when lightly pushed with the tines of a fork. Turn crooked to cool to prevent sogginess. These are great chilled the next day, too!









No comments:

Post a Comment