Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Banana Walnut Muffins



I think I buy bananas every single time I run to the grocery store-every time! Even if I'm just running to the corner because we're out of milk, I find myself grabbing more bananas too.

Sometimes I stare at banana bread recipes and wonder how I'm going to get 2 full cups of mashed banana. We devour bananas so quickly, having that many get completely ripe is difficult. Luckily this muffin recipe only uses 2-3 bananas, which sometimes survive our banana love long enough to be made into little muffins.
These muffins are tender and flavorful with banana, cinnamon, and walnuts. The bananas make the recipe moist so I can use some whole wheat flour.

Ingredients

1 cup flour
3/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped, shelled walnuts (I pulsed mine in my food processor)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mashed banana (about 2-3 large)
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter

Topping--put on after it's baked

1 tablespoon melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) In a large bowl, combine white flour, wheat flour, chopped walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3) In a small bowl, combine mashed banana, milk, egg, sugar, and cooking oil or melted butter. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour into greased muffin tins about 3/4 full.
4) Bake at 400 F until lightly browned on top and the tops spring back when pushed with the back of a spoon.

  • 14-20 minutes for regular muffins; yields 10-12
  • 9-11 minutes for mini muffins; yields 30 
5) For topping, place melted butter in 1 dish, and combine the sugar and cinnamon in the second dish. Dip the tops of each muffin in butter and then the cinnamon sugar.



What's your favorite thing to do with bananas?

Here are some of my favorite things with banana:

Shared with these link parties, Retro Re-Pin Party 24


No comments:

Post a Comment