I think I buy bananas every single time I run to the grocery store-every time! Even if I'm just running to the corner because we're out of milk, I find myself grabbing more bananas too.
Sometimes I stare at banana bread recipes and wonder how I'm going to get 2 full cups of mashed banana. We devour bananas so quickly, having that many get completely ripe is difficult. Luckily this muffin recipe only uses 2-3 bananas, which sometimes survive our banana love long enough to be made into little muffins.
These muffins are tender and flavorful with banana, cinnamon, and walnuts. The bananas make the recipe moist so I can use some whole wheat flour.
Ingredients1 cup flour
3/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped, shelled walnuts (I pulsed mine in my food processor)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mashed banana (about 2-3 large)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter
Topping--put on after it's baked1 tablespoon melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) In a large bowl, combine white flour, wheat flour, chopped walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3) In a small bowl, combine mashed banana, milk, egg, sugar, and cooking oil or melted butter. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour into greased muffin tins about 3/4 full.
4) Bake at 400 F until lightly browned on top and the tops spring back when pushed with the back of a spoon.
- 14-20 minutes for regular muffins; yields 10-12
- 9-11 minutes for mini muffins; yields 30
What's your favorite thing to do with bananas?
Here are some of my favorite things with banana:
- Smoothies --like a Banana Spice Smoothie, Strawberry Plum Smoothie and Orange Banana Smoothie with Carrot.
- Banana ice cream--just freeze the banana and then blend it for a faux, guilt-free ice cream.
- Sliced over plain cooked oatmeal with a bit of milk, cinnamon, and a dash of salt. It really does have enough flavor!