Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Frito Pie

This meal is always a winner, even if everyone is tired of eating leftover chili. While Fritos aren't healthy, I still buy them occasionally. After all, I have some tricks for making my chili healthy, adding hidden pureed vegetables and even oatmeal.

The other day I was busy and at the store and so I grabbed a bag of Fritos to dress up some chili I had in the freezer. If you're wondering, chili freezes beautifully.

Fun fact about Fritos (and other chips): If you're camping out and you're having trouble starting a fire, you can use Fritos as kindling. They take several minutes to burn, unlike pine needles or paper which burn in seconds.

Yes, this chili pictured has hidden pureed broccoli and dry oatmeal in it. No one ever guesses.

Ingredients

Fritos
Chili
Diced tomato (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour Cream (fat free)
Diced green onion
Diced cilantro

Directions

For each plate, make a bed of Fritos, cover with chili and cheese. If desired, melt the cheese in the microwave. Add additional toppings as desired. The cilantro really makes the dish for me! This time I only had frozen cilantro, so it's stirred into the chili and you can't see it, but I'm just noting it's delicious.

For my family, this is the easiest way to happily use up leftover chili. Are there meals that you routinely make to use up leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment