Monday, February 24, 2014

Sausage Cornbread Muffins

jalapeno topped

These are a version of grown-up corn dogs. Inside isn't a regular hot dog, but nice sausage in casings, and they're topped with jalapeno. I won't tell anyone if you want to use regular hot dog, though!

This comfort food is helping my husband get through long hours at the office. I'm glad to help.

These are fun to eat and my husband loved taking some to work--he just microwaved them and made his coworkers jealous.

homemade from scratch, pinterest image series

Click Here to Jump to the Recipe Card


Ingredients

6 ounces sausage, in casings
1 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal 
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup oil (or melted butter)
2 eggs
1 jalapeno, half-seeded and diced 

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.

2. Slice sausages into 1/2 inch pieces and pan fry over medium heat for 6-9 minutes, flipping halfway through. They should be browned when done. 
The sausage is precooked, but sausage is better browned and this will let you pat some of the grease off with paper towels.



cooking sausage over stove









3. Meanwhile, mix flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.


4. In a separate bowl mix milk, oil (or butter), and eggs. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
These are like regular muffins; over mixing will make them tough.

5. Add 1 tablespoon of batter into each greased muffin tin. Then add 1 sausage slice on the left side. Add 1 teaspoon of batter and put 1 sausage on the right side.
Staggering the sausages will help there be meat in every bite.
Cover with batter until the muffin tins are 2/3 the way full--this only took a few teaspoons of batter in each muffin tin.


6. Top with chopped jalapeno.
You're wondering what a half-seeded jalapeno is, aren't you?
I just mean that if I seed the jalapeno, it's not spicy enough for me, but when I leave all the seeds it's too hot. I've tried cooking the unseeded jalapeno, but that hasn't helped. What has helped is slicing the pepper longways and scooping out the seeds on 1 side only. Then I dice it as normal.
Also, I always use disposable latex gloves whenever I chop spicy peppers because I once had a terrible experience removing my contacts hours later. I apparently had oils on my fingers still! I couldn't get the oils off my brand new contacts and had to throw them out.


7. Bake at 400 F for 13-16 minutes.




I do want to credit I Believe I Can Fry for the Flickr image that inspired these.

Shared with

No comments:

Post a Comment