Friday, March 7, 2014

Mint Smoothie


Made with fat free Greek yogurt, 1 cup spinach, mint flavoring, chopped chocolate chips

My Pinterest feed is green. Everyone is excited to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day and look forward to the coming of spring!

I decided to call this a smoothie, though it was so thick I actually ate it with a spoon, and I don't usually put chocolate in my smoothies!
But being filled with healthier ingredients, including spinach, I decided smoothie was the best label.

Ingredients

5.3 oz container or vanilla Greek yogurt--I used Dannon Light & Fit, single serving
1 cup spinach leaves, stemmed
1/3 cup milk (plus 1 tablespoon if needed to puree spinach)
1-2 drops creme de menthe Wilton's candy flavoring
1 tablespoon chocolate chips, chopped well

Directions

1. Scoop greek yogurt into an ice cube tray and freeze until first (I froze mine 4 hours before).


freeze Greek yogurt in ice cube tray


1. Puree spinach very well. If needed, add an extra tablespoon of milk to puree better. Some blenders/ vitamix/food processors will blend the spinach very well without much work. Mine is a powerful blender, but still needed a lot of scraping down the sides and blending until I wouldn't be feelings bits of spinach in my mint smoothie.
My favorite part of this recipe is that the spinach is hidden, you wouldn't necessarily guess it's in there when you taste it, and yet it's also what gives the smoothie it's bright green color!
Creme de Menthe and milk

I packed down the leaves to measure them. So 1 cup when the leaves are gently pushed down.
 2. When the spinach is liquified, add the frozen yogurt cubes and puree. Add 1 drop of mint candy flavoring. Taste and add another if needed. You also may add a spoonful of powdered sugar if you think it needs to be sweeter. I didn't, but if I had been serving it to my husband, I know he would have wanted it sweeter.
Transfer to a serving dish.

 3. Measure 1 tablespoon chocolate chips and finely chop. Stir 3/4 of the bits into the smoothie and top with remaining.


Greek Yogurt

overhead shot

1-2 drops mint candy flavoring, 1 cup spinach, 5.3 oz frozen vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 tbs chopped chocolate chips


No comments:

Post a Comment