Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pregnancy Waffles

These waffles are so yummy and have extra eggs and milk in them! I developed the recipe when I was struggling with morning sickness in the first trimester of pregnancy. I found that the easiest thing to digest was carbs, but I worried Saltine crackers don't have the protein and calcium I needed. Well these waffles sat well in my stomach and helped me better balance my diet, even when ill.



And, yes, my husband loves these as well, despite me making them for my pregnancy. He notes that you can really taste the eggs in the recipe, like eating French toast waffles.

Ingredients


2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
4 eggs
1/4 cup cooking oil (I prefer Canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions


1) Preheat waffle iron.

2) Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

3) In a separate medium bowl, stir together milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Combine the contents of both bowls and stir until just moistened.

4) Cook in waffle iron according to directions on your waffle iron. Note: Use about 75% of the batter you usually use to make waffles. This recipe has so much liquid and so many eggs, the waffles will rise more than typical batters. I had to play with how much batter I added so I didn't overflow my waffle iron.

I use a little less than 3/4 cup of batter and cook each waffle 7 minutes. Your waffles will vary according to your waffle iron.

Failed Variations


I sometimes like to list favorite variations, but in this case I was unhappy with any of my experiments. I thought I'd share what I did.

The first variation, I tried adding 1 tablespoon ground flax seed to the batter. Flax seed has soluble fiber in it and omega 3 essential fatty acids. It made the waffles quite a bit heavier and denser. They were still good, but I thought the texture wasn't worth just 1 tablespoon of flax seed in the batter. I would rather throw that much into a smoothie and drink it and never know that it was there. 

The second variation came when I was feeling a little bit better. Whole wheat flour had been hard on my stomach, but I wanted to start reintroducing it as I started feeling better. I used half white flour and half whole wheat flour. The result was tough. Yuck! I have other whole wheat flour waffle recipes I like a lot better.


My Pregnancy


This is the first time I'm announcing my pregnancy on the blog. I am very excited that our family will have a new addition this December! I also want to tell moms with multiple children that I am so impressed with you right now. I feel so lucky when I am tired or ill that I am able to lie down and take it easy. I keep thinking how much harder a second or third pregnancy is going to be when I have young children to take care of. Right now all I have is a dog and a husband and they love the extra cuddle time.

Protein

According to What to Expect What You're Expecting (4th Edition), a pregnant woman should eat 1 serving of protein at each meal, or 75 grams each day. That's the equivalent of eating 2 cups of yogurt, 4 large eggs, and 4 ounces of chicken every day. That is a lot! The book also says that most Americans have no trouble eating enough protein each day, between meat, dairy, legumes, nuts, etc. I just knew when I was sick I definitely wasn't getting enough, hence the waffles recipe.

Calcium

The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy says, "If there's not enough calcium in your pregnancy diet, the calcium your baby needs will be taken from your bones" (38). On the one hand, you don't have to feel mom-guilt that when you don't have calcium in your diet, your baby is going without the nutrients he or she needs. Your baby if fine. On the other hand, what a threat that if you don't consume calcium, it will be stolen out of your own bones! No wonder osteoporosis is so much more common in woman than men. There's a reason I wanted a recipe with a lot of milk in it. My diet of Saltines, bananas, and applesauce that I ate for over a week was just not cutting it.

Shared with

Recipes You May Like

 * The oatmeal pancakes are a favorite of mine during morning sickness. Oatmeal is a soluble fiber, which was easier for me to digest than most whole grains, like wheat flour.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your pregnancy! That is such exciting news-you look amazing!

    What a delicious recipe too. Thanks so much for sharing it at the #sundaysdownunder linky party! I have pinned this!

    I really appreciate you and your support!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. im hungry ... :)
    visit my blog : www.akangsurya.blogspot.com
    im indonesian blogger

    ReplyDelete