Monday, December 15, 2014

BLT with Mushrooms and Jalapeno

What do you do when it's a half hour before dinner and you just don't know what to make? Maybe you do one of the following.

a) You end up throwing together a number of foods that makes no sense together and is not really a balanced meal: For example, you make a box of stuffing and then serve it with re-fried beans on tortillas with a side of macaroni and cheese.

b) You get really creative and have a great idea that your husband proclaims is "the best _______ ever!"

I may have nights where I do choice "a," but I have other nights where I advance to choice "b."

The other day was a definite choice "b," and is a really quick, easy recipe, a BLT with Mushrooms and Jalapeno.



The sandwich is pretty self-explanatory, but tastes so amazing, I knew it was worth sharing. I would also note that while BLT stands for Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato, I prefer to use spinach instead of lettuce. I love the way spinach tastes, and as a dark leafy green, it has so many more health benefits than lettuce.

Serves 2

Ingredients


3 slices of bacon, cut in half
8 leaves of baby spinach
2 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 a tomato, sliced
1/2 a medium jalapeno, seeded and chopped
4 slices of bread, toasted in toaster
Mayonnaise
Mustard

Directions


1) In a small frying pan, cook bacon over low heat, flipping once. Cook until both sides are crispy. Drain on paper towels.

2) Meanwhile in a large frying pan, cook mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil, flipping halfway through. Cook until both sides are a dark brown color. Add more oil if needed (or use bacon grease).

3) Assemble both sandwiches with all the toppings.

Before you go, tell me about those nights in your house when you have no idea what to make for dinner! (Comments section below)

Shared with Lou Lou Girls, My Snippets of Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment