Monday, June 2, 2014

Easy Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

My husband, Jay, told me recently that he had a new trick to make hard boiled easy to peel, and that he just used it. When he told me how, I said, "That won't work!"
I was proved wrong.



We had tried other things--poking the eggs with pins before boiling, adding baking soda to the water, and different methods of peeling. None was successful enough to repeat all the time.
Jay told me the trick is to boil the water first, and then add the eggs. I told him that was stupid--cold eggs in boiling water crack open and are ruined. He showed me that if you're careful, that won't often happen.
I will admit that sometimes the eggs will crack and you end up with poached eggs. (Eggs boiled without the shell are called poached.) But done carefully, I've had great success.


Instructions


1) In a saucepan over high heat, boil enough water to cover eggs, but don't add the eggs yet.

2) Reduce heat to medium low until the boil has slowed to smaller, gentle bubbling (between simmering and an active boil).

3) Using a large slotted spoon, gently lower eggs one-by-one into the water. Wait 1 minute and turn heat to medium. Cover with lid. Boil 14-18 minutes* (if the water stops boiling when you add the eggs, add a few minutes).

4) As soon as cooked, drain hot water and cover with cold water. Wait at least 5 minutes, and easily peel.





*Egg times vary according to temperature. I have this Eggsact Eggtimer that you drop in the water. As the eggs cook, the timer goes dark from the outside in. When it's all dark, you know you have a perfectly boiled egg. They aren't even paying me to say this.




We eat our eggs a few ways:

  • Egg salad sandwiches
  • Just with salt--great for a fast breakfast or after a workout when you need protein
  • In potato salad
  • deviled eggs--my sister puts wasabi in her deviled eggs! 
What's your favorite way to eat a hard boiled egg? And what other snacks do you like for hot weather?

Shared at these link parties

Recipes You May Like



No comments:

Post a Comment