Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Oat Flour--from oats

Apples and oats go together so well, but my husband isn't always game for muffins with oatmeal in them, even if I put apples in them to tempt him. He really should give in to the temptation of apples: Adam and Snow White both did.*


So we compromised. I put oatmeal in the muffins anyway. That's compromise, right?
I ground up the oats into oat flour. I use it in rolls, muffins, cookies, and sometimes to help thicken chili. It's easy to make. Oat flour helps you get another whole grain into your diet.


Materials

Oats, either old fashioned regular rolled oats or quick oats.
A blender, food processor, or coffee grinder, or similar

1. Place oats in blender.


2. Blend until smooth.



3. Use in place of flour, cup for cup.




--If a recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups flour, I might use 1 cup white flour and 3/4 cup oat flour

I use oat flour often in muffins


Golden Rolls

Some caveats--Oat flour is whole grain. Also, your blender may not get it as smooth as regular flour. Mine doesn't. These 2 factors mean that while healthy, your oat flour will probably make your recipe turn out heavier than just using white flour.

I usually start with using 1/3 oat flour and 2/3 white flour in a recipe. Or I sometimes use a combination of white flour, wheat flour, and oat flour, like I do in my Golden Rolls recipe. I like it because it's a good way to have multi-grain without having to buy an extra ingredient.

*Note: This is a joke. In the Bible it never says the forbidden fruit is an apple. That's simply a tradition. Also, I'm not 100% sure Snow White existed and was given a magic poison apple from the evil queen.


No comments:

Post a Comment