Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Husband's Favorite Broccoli

I can only think of a few surefire ways to get my husband to eat vegetables, and this broccoli is one of them. It comes with a lot of good flavor and smells.

husband's favorite broccoli
The garlic and lemon on it is yummy, but the real trick is roasting it.


I've made this recipe numerous times. One time I made it with a noodle dish that I had added too much spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning. I told my husband the noodles were too spicy for me. He said he would eat mine, but then complained when he realized I had polished off all broccoli. Apparently he just wanted my vegetables, which is not a typical attitude for him.
I make 3-4 cups and between the two of us, we eat it all.
plate with chopsticks

Click Here to Jump to the Recipe Card

Today I made it with Sesame Noodles. Thanks to Kyra for that recipe.

Ingredients

3-4 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen (1 crown fresh)
1-2 cloves minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon dried ground garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Juice from 1/2 a lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions

1. Preheat oven with cookie sheet in it to 500 F. 
2. Meanwhile, if using frozen broccoli, microwave it 1-2 minutes until partially thawed, and then let it sit out while the oven preheats. If using fresh broccoli, make sure it's dry. Toss broccoli in olive oil and minced garlic, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
I hate it when recipes say to "season to taste," but in this case, use less than is feasible to measure.
chopped in a bowl
This was fresh broccoli
3. When oven is preheated, turn the temperature down to 425 F, remove pan and quickly put the broccoli on the pan in a loose, single layer. Don't overcrowd your pan or the vegetables will steam rather than roast. The broccoli should sizzle as it hits the pan.
4. Bake for 14-20 minutes, flipping at the 10 minute mark.
The broccoli should have a few charred places on each floret. Use your oven light to monitor when it's done.
Right after I had used a spatula to loosen the broccoli--when you roast it, don't heap it together.



5. Sprinkle with lemon juice. If using bottled lemon juice, put some in a spoon and put a few drops on each floret.
 I especially love to serve this with Asian food, usually rice or noodles, but it goes well burgers too.






2 comments:

  1. Julie - it looks so good! The roasted broccoli is a perfect addition to the noodles! Thanks for stopping by Caramel Potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love broccoli and I love lemon juice, so I've got to give this a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete