Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Frito Pie

Well it's March and we all know what that means:
Saint Patrick's Day? Yes, but no.
March Madness? Ummm... I'm not entirely even sure what sport that's for. So yes March Madness is probably a thing right now, but I'm thinking of something else.
Give up?
Pi Day is coming! Hurrah for math, circles, and constant ratios.

Fritos, chili, shredded spinach, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, chives, cilantro
March 14, or 3.14 is the day we eat pie, so I'm putting together some different pies this month, starting with Frito pie.
Fritos, chili, cheese, tomato, spinach, Greek yogurt, green onion, and cilantro make this so delicious.


My sister-in-law explained Frito pie to me one day: Fritos on bottom, chili in between, and cheese melting over the top. I decided to dress it up a bit and use fewer Fritos than usual.

Today we had this with leftover chili. I ran to the store and bought the Fritos to dress up the chili that needed to be eaten. We love our chili, but sometimes chips can be a new change of pace. Besides, my chili is hidden veggie with lean turkey and hidden oatmeal in it. Here are some tips and tricks to make your chili healthier. Ot you can just buy chili for a fast, easy meal.

Ingredients 

2/3 cup Fritos
1 cup chili, heated
1 small tomato, chopped
6-10 spinach leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt or sour cream
1 teaspoon chopped green onion
4 shredded cilantro leaves

Instructions

Layer the ingredients in order into 2 dishes. Enjoy immediately.
The cilantro really made the dish!

I didn't use very many Fritos

Layering




No comments:

Post a Comment