Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Oatmeal Coffee Cake

This breakfast recipe is so tasty, and it doesn't even require milk. My dad can't do milk, so I was interested in a recipe that looks like a regular coffee cake except that in the place of milk, you basically make a big bowl of oatmeal in the microwave. Isn't that a fun replacement?


I had my first baby, a little boy, in November and so I've found myself looking for more oven and crock pot recipes. Yes, I've stirred together this coffee cake with him in my arms the entire time. My pre-baby favorite breakfast, pancakes, is just so much harder because you can't hold your baby while making them. It's just not safe to hold a baby over a hot stove! I'd love to hear about your favorite crock pot or oven meals so that I have more ideas.

Cake Ingredients


1/2 cups dry oats
1 cup water
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 eggs
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping Ingredients


1 tablespoon butter OR milk-free margarine OR coconut oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions


1) Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 9 inch square baking dish.

2) Combine dry oats and water in a large glass dish and microwave 2-3 minutes or until thick, stirring every minute and watching to make sure it doesn't boil over. Or you may use 1 cup cooked oatmeal.

3) In a large bowl stir together white flour, wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves.

4) Add the prepared oatmeal, eggs, oil, and vanilla to the bowl and stir well. Pour into prepared baking pan.

5) In a small bowl, use a pastry blender or fork to cut together the topping ingredients. If you're making a milk-free recipe, use either milk-free margarine or coconut oil. Sprinkle topping over batter.

6) Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment