I was looking for ones with lots of protein, whole grains, and inexpensive ingredients. I adapted and tried several recipes until I came up with this one. It is kind of messy, but delicious. These are very thick -- I usually slice them into squares instead of bars.
1 1/4 cups dry quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped*
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped*
1/2 cup unsalted walnuts, chopped*
1/4 cup unsalted almonds, chopped*
1/2 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup corn syrup
* I measured each ingredient first and then pulsed them in my food processor for pea sized chunks of chocolate and nuts.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease a 9 x 9 inch square baking dish.
3. Combine oatmeal, chocolate chips, nuts, dried cranberries, brown sugar, and flour.
4. In separate bowl combine peanut butter, canola oil, and corn syrup.
5. With a sturdy wooden spoon combine the oatmeal mixture with the peanut butter mixture. Press into the pan.
6. Bake 30-35 min at 350 F. until edges are brown. Everything will be really soft. The bars will firm as they cool.
7. Cool completely. Slice and serve or store in an airtight container or bag.